From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 2010 09:32:49 -0400
Often, one of the first things to fail on a laptop is the screen.  In
particular, the voltage regulator for the light goes out.

There's a possibility that you are seeing the early signs of this.  Since it
is the light that isn't working, you may be able to shine a bright light on
the screen at such an angle that you can still see that the screen is
displaying a (faint) image.  Depending on the kind of antiglare coating on
the screen you may or may not be successful with this, but if you can see
that the display has a faint image, it would confirm a defective back-light.

John Sproule

Date:    Sat, 2 Oct 2010 21:24:11 +0000
From:    Ronald Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: HP laptop startup problem

Hello,
I have an HP Pavilion laptop, about 6 tears old, running WinXP. Lately, it
has been starting erratically - sometimes right away, other times requiring
repeated pressings of the Start button. Sometimes only the lights will come
on but nothing happens on the screen.
Has anyone any insight into what causes this and how it can be fixed?

Gratefully,
Ron Smith