From:
Tony Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 14:07:22 -0700
Dean - has this problem only just cropped up?  If so, try putting your
memory in her computer too.  Also, swap out the video card.  You don't have
to go all the way in to the OS, just turn it on long enough to see if it
starts up.  If the components all work in her computer, then you are left
with the m/b.
If this is a new install, you might want to check the jumper that resets
the CMOS data - perhaps it was left shorted?

Hope this helped...

Tony Mayer

>Follow Up
>
>I really did  not want to do this, but I decided I had to.  Since my wife's
>computer (the one that does not start) and mine are almost the same, I took
>the cpu out of hers and put it into mine and it ran.  So, now a half-hour
>later (full of sweating and cussing trying to deal with the heat sinks!), I
>know that my problem is not the cpu, since it ran fine in my machine.  It is
>most likely the motherboard.
>
>Any other advice is still welcome, if you think that I have overlooked
>something, and it is not the motherboard.
>
>Dean

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com