From:
Tom Mayer SC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2010 15:36:26 -0700
I started to send a lengthy detailed post to try to get the desktop to
load Windows. I recently ran into a very similar problem and solved it
by doing a restore while in safe mode. Since you can not get into safe
mode the fix becomes more involved.

However, your basic issue is getting files from a Zip drive on your
desktop to a CD drive on your laptop. The easy way is to buy an IDE to
USB Adapter with power supply. Amazon has numerous devices from $3.36 on
up (as an example). Take your Zip drive out of the desktop and using the
adapter hook it up to a USB port on your laptop. Then transfer the files.

Tom

On 3/26/2010 10:40 AM, Ralph Hunter wrote:
> I am entering a second write up of my problem with more detail.
> I have a desktop pc with windows xp sp3 in it. I had disconnected it when I got a laptop computer. Now I need it to download some Zip files to a cd. The laptop has no connection for a Iomega zip drive.
> The desktop won't boot up.
> I turn it on and get the Windows xp screen, then it goes to the screen to start in safe mode, etc. I tried safe mode and last config and it goes back to Windows xp screen and goes back to giving boot choices and the screen showing the Processor, etc. Then it goes back to the Windows xp screen and goes repeats with boot choices etc.
> If I hit F8 I can change the items but after doing this it repeats like above. I downloaded the boot cd from Free Pc that is to repair existing xp drives and ran it. It showed a lot files and shut down. Rebooting it when back to the same problem of recycling. I can hit delete and go to setup screen. I did this and hit F5 (load old values in cmos)and F10 to save. When I rebooted it went to the Windows xp screen and began recyling again as above.
> A long time ago I had successfully downloaded the xp set up disks onto floppys but i no longer have them. I can't download them again because I don't have any A drive on my laptop or on the desktop. The cd available from Pc Free is an image cd that has to be downloaded to a floppy and then installed.
> HOw can I get this to boot?
> System information:
> Maxtor 6040L0
> IDE-0 1st boot drive