Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 01:01:46 -0500
Peter.
As you probably know,in order to send/receive data by your phone (analog) and your computer (digital)at the same time,using the same line, a splitter needs to be installed either on your end or their end.

So, The ISP's recomendation to leave the modem on at all times probably has to do with your phone use and has nothing to do with their DSL system.
mike michel

 --- On Wed 11/12, Peter Shkabara < [log in to unmask] > wrote:
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] firewall?

Good point - a power switch is better than pulling the cable. However, this leads to another question.

The ISP recommends to have the modem on at all times in order to improve performance. I have been following this advice, but I don't know why this is necessary. Anyone have information on what is it in DSL that makes it better if the modem is not turned off?

Incidentally, I tried installing ZoneAlarm, but it ends up making Internet access inoperable for some applications. I end up exiting ZoneAlarm in order to do work. Perhaps I should learn more about ZA, but all I really want is to be able to turn off my network card. This is better than turning off my modem anyway because then my wife could still continue using the Internet while I am disconnected.
Peter

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml