Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 13:05:47 -0700
  I've actually done something similar with the LinkSys PhoneLink
gear.  Their basic package comes with two NICs and a driver CD-ROM.

  These are not ordinary NICs -- they include an RJ-45 10-BaseT port
and two RJ-11 phone line ports.  [You use one or the other -- the 10-
BaseT port is so you don't have to replace the NIC if you move the
machine to a place where it can be on your Ethernet.]
  This is intended to allow a machine at a remote extension to join
the network -- not sure if your phone system *between buildings* can
do this!
  Anyway, the NIC installs just like any other with its own drivers.
So now I have a machine on my Ethernet that has a second NIC in it;
assign it aa address on a different subnet (same as the remote), and
(this box is running NT) check the "packet forwarding" box so it
becomes a router between the Ethernet and PhoneLink subnets.  [This
box is also the default gateway on my net, so everybody els can talk
to the PhoneLink right away; I have WINS on my PDC so everyone can
find the remote by name as well as by address.

  If the phone system between your buildings doesn't allow for this,
you may have to go to something like a dialup modem connection, which
is going to be a lot slower.

David G

On 20 May 2001, at 16:31, Steve Milani wrote:

> I have a current ethernet network to which I need to add a computer over a
> phone line (it's in another building).
> Can I use one of the current network computers and add a USB phoneline
> adapter to it to "connect" the new computer?
> If so, how do the two devices (PCI Ethernet NIC <AND> USB phoneline
> adapter) talk to each other to provide the connection among all computers?
>
>         The NOSPIN Group provides a monthly newsletter with great
>        tips, information and ideas: NOSPIN-L, The NOSPIN Magazine
>            Visit our web site to signup: http://freepctech.com

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml