From:
Peter Ekkerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2013 14:52:02 -0500
Hi Erif,

Unfortunately I can't give you good news. Before I wrote this,  I already "knew" what the complaints are

about the Dell Inspiron.

Just a simple search like " inspiron random shutdown" or similar will give you oodles of stories of woe.

While I still think it may be heat related , the search related links cover a gamut of problems -often not resolved -

with regards to this very problem.

Some problems related to overheating  (causes): CPU not properly cooled -fan failure or too slow or intermittent.

CPU not properly seated or lack of heat transfer compound.

There is some protection for the CPU that it will shutdown if a certain temp has been reached or exceeded,

but repeated overheating will result in total failure.

After the re-start do you get any warning notices to the effect of " Your computer was shutdown improperly"? "

or similar?

If the computer doesn't have an onboard utility to show temps ,try CPUID's Hardware monitor

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html (free  and pro)

I would also check Windows Event logs - (Event Viewer)  Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer )

and check each section for warnings .Some are just marked as info ,but may still indicate a failure of a service or device.

Have you gone to the Dell support section regarding your particular model?

Peter E.