From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 2006 09:14:13 -0700
Considering the speed of light and the normal distances to stationary
satellites, the latency due to signal distance is likely in the range of
1/3 of a second. The distance latency for signal travel via other means
varies but likely averages 1/6 of a second. I don't think the 1/6 +/- of
a second difference would be noticeable to a human without accurate
instrumentation.

Instead, the satellites are simply acting as repeaters. I am not a
satellite person, but it seems rational that, depending upon the number
of signals being received by a satellite at any second, the
retransmission is probably using a variable queue and that is what is
noticeable as compared to other broadband methods of accessing the Internet.

Just some extraneous thought on this discussion.

Tom Mayer

Larry Fisk wrote: (excerpts)

> It rivals DSL, other than webpages loading slightly slower
> due to the distance to and from the satellite (latency)
>
> Gaming and Voip are not really compatible with Sat. internet , because
> of the latency,
> But for large downloads Sat. excels.

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads