From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 18:06:48 -0400
I don't install odd boot sequences, so I'm not 100% sure I am correctly
describing this.
In my experience, if you set the bios boot order in cmos to be scsi first,
(then others like C:, A:, CDROM) and you set your scsi controller correctly,
(I let mine scan all scsi devices for a bootable drive.  You may want to
point specifically to the device ID that you want to boot.  It does not have
to be zero.) the scsi disk drive will boot.  It does not have to be drive C:

Now, if you have a boot record on your ide hard disk in NTFS, the only way I
know to remove it in win2000 or XP is to format the drive.  There is no
active partition setting under NTFS.

This worked fine for me the two instances where I ended up with servers
built up from spares.  The NT / win2000 version booted up from drive D:
which was scsi, and the ide drive C: was only used for extra storage and
convenience.

As for ide drive location, I prefer putting them on different channels, but
the performance difference would be too small to notice because you have a
scsi bus.  If you must do simultaneous disk accesses, you should attempt to
arrange it so at least one of the accesses is always on the scsi bus.
Tom Turak