From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 08:02:42 -0500
At 08:58 3/8/99 +0000, Ray Duncan wrote (parts snipped):
>Pentium 133 Mhz, 64 MByte EDO RAM, Graphics: S3-Virge w/ 4MByte of
>memory, running Win95, graphic settings: Optimal.
>
>My old monitor dies a short while ago, so I bought an "intelligent"
>P-n-P super-VGA monitor. The monitor has only few buttons in front,
>and a LCD indicator in front.
>
>When I was using my old monitor, my computer never gave me any trouble.
>It's >when I hook the new "intelligent" monitor that my computer started
>giving me the "4 beep salute"...one long-beep follows by 3 short-beeps.
>It happens occassionally, and when that happened, there is nothing on
>the screen (dark) and the LCD indicator of the monitor gave a orange color...
>
>When the "4-beep salute" happened, I usually power-down the computer, and
>wait a while before powering up again. Sometimes when I do the power-off,
>power-on, the problem goes away, but sometimes the "4-beep salute" got
>very persistent...
>
>Strange thing is, if I turn off the monitor and then back on again, my
>keyboard stops working. And when I hit the reset button of my computer to
>reboot, my computer will tell me that there is no keyboard or keyboard is
>not functioning properly. Well... keyboard is fine, I've checked the
>keyboard on other computer.

Hi Ray

What company makes your BIOS? This information should be one of the first
things you see on screen when you boot. (When you can boot!)

According to Scott Mueller's book "Upgrading and Repairing PCs, 10th ed),
one long beep followed by three short beeps is the standard IBM POST Audio
code for a "problem with the Enhanced Graphics Adaptor"...but if you have
an AMI BIOS, one long beep followed by three short beeps indicates a
"conventional/extended memory failure".

Well, that said, when you go to Device Manager, is your monitor correctly
identified by name and model? If it just says "Standard Plug and Play
Monitor", or "Unknown monitor", or something similar, that's not good.
Your monitor should be exactly identified in case Win95 needs to know some
of its properties for use with power management. (That yellow light on the
front of the monitor can indicate the monitor is in sleep mode.) Have you
tried turning the monitor on *after* first starting the computer? (Maybe
the monitor needs a signal to be present from the computer at the exact
moment that it powers up.) Alternatively, have you tried turning the
monitor on *before* you turn the computer power switch on? (You never know...)
Does the monitor stay on when you reset the computer (soft reboot)?

If your monitor is not identified exactly, you should reinstall it and
pick "have disk" (you do have a diskette with drivers for the monitor
I hope). (I use 98 now and I kind of forget how 95 does this.)

If your monitor is identified in Control Panel, Display, Settings
that would also be good. (This could depend on your video card
and I'm not familiar with yours. Does the S3-Virge allow for picking
a monitor profile?)

Maybe this will get you started...

Regards,
Bill