From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 20:54:23 -0700
I seem to be having a lot of questions lately. Although I am fairly well
familiar with partition tables and such, I am still foggy as to where
Windows XP (NT) stores the drive letter information. What I mean is that
Disk Manager allows for changing the letter of a drive. Where in this
information stored? I assume it is someplace in the boot sectors.

In my particular case, I wanted to change the boot drive on my system. I
backed up the C: drive and restored it onto another drive. This was done
while booted from a "spare" installation of XP so that the Windows directory
could be copied completely. I then removed the original C: drive and tired
to boot. However, while it did try to boot, the disk was still assigned the
letter E: as it was originally. I can, of course, do a fresh install of XP,
or could go through a roundabout procedure where I install clean copy
temporarily on another drive; boot from that; change the drive designations;
then boot the original XP installation. Hence my desire to find if I can
simply patch a byte on the disk using a sector editor (which I have).
Thanks.

Peter