From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 May 2006 20:19:00 -0400
At 17:51 05/19/06, James W. Cooley wrote:
>I set up linksys routers on 4 machines, two Win98SE and two WinXP. The
>connection on each is by ethernet cable. I link to each, one at a time,
>with my wireless HP laptop, running WinXP.  On all machines I can
>connect to the  internet. On the Win98 machines, I can access shared
>folders in both directions.  On the WinXP machines, I can access the
>laptop's shared folders but the laptop cannot access shared folders
>on the WinXP machines.  The problem occurs even with the zone alarm
>firewalls disabled.  Some setting must be wrong.  What is it?
>Jim Cooley  [log in to unmask]

Hi Jim

I assume that the laptop is one of the two machines running Win98.

Do you get a message saying that you don't have permission to access
the WinXP folder from the Win98 machine?

If your Win98 machines does not have permission to access folders on
the WinXP machines, try this: Create a user on one of the WinXP
machines with the same user name and password as you use on one of the
Win98 machines. (If you don't normally log onto the Win98 machine with
a password and username, start doing it now, for a while at least.)
Then see if you can access the shared folder on the WinXP machine
from that Win98 machine.

If the above doesn't work, for simplicity, log onto the Win98 machine
using the *same* password and *same* user name as you use to log onto
the WinXP machine. Then see if you can access shared folders on the
WinXP machine from that Win98 machine.

If the above doesn't work, are you sure you disabled Zone Alarm? Some
versions require you to reboot after turning ZA off. (Disabling the
user interface may not disable the actual firewall module.)

Regards,
Bill