From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:28:51 -0800
The P6 is more commonly known as the Pentium Pro. This is a true 32 bit
processor and as such doesn't handle 16 bit code very well which is why you
never saw it in the personal computer market. Introduced in 1995, it is the
successor to the Pentium, and models from 150MHz to 200MHz were released.
The Pentium Pro is used in servers and high-end workstations, which can
employ SMP multiprocessing to increase performance. The Pentium Pro was
succeeded by the Pentium II, which is a Pentium Pro with MMX instructions.
However, since MMX instructions are not often used in a server environment,
the Pentium Pro still serves as an effective server. Intel abandoned the P6
last year in favor of the P II.

>        I was just going through the welcome message at ftp.cdrom.com
>
>        They mention that they are using a P6?
>
>        I've heard of P II, but P 6?