From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 19:11:22 -0500
It took a while but I finally figured out this problem.  In Windows 98,
you can set two different colors for the active title bar and the title
bar will gradually change from color1 on the left to color2 on the
right.  After my recent upgrade, this was no longer happening.  I found
a hint on the Microsoft Knowledge Base - if your video settings are for
256 colors, this will not happen - the two colors are ignored and only
color1 is displayed.  My active settings are for 65K colors but when I
looked at the default settings, they were for 640x480x256 colors.  It
took a while to find where to change this and I finally had to change
the Registry to do it.  The key is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.Config.0001.Display.Settings.BitsPerPixel

Changing this value from "8" to "16" corrected my problem.

7.  A really minor problem - Before the upgrade the active title bar on
Windows would fade from a dark color on the left to a lighter shade on
the right.  It's just a solid dark color now.  I see under display
properties, appearance where I can set two different colors for the
active title bar and it does appear that way after I change it ... until
the next restart and then it's right back to a solid dark bar again.
Anyone know what is happening here?

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html