From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:52:13 -0700
About 18 months or so ago I wrote a column about the future of broadband
and Web TV.http://www.freepctech.com/rode/021.shtml.

Since the column appeared I have received numerous email from readers who
were exactly in your postilion....i.e. they have parents with no computer
skills who would like to email their kids and see what the web is all
about. So they made or bought them computers and tried to teach them how to
use them online. After a frustrating experience trying to set up a PC they
stumbled on my column and  turned to Web PC ... and their parents love it.

Their parents can email their kids and cruise the web in a filtered
protected shell that won't drop them in a banner pornography site. It won't
crash, it doesn't need to be upgraded, it can't be hacked and they won't
get a virus. The screen is huge which believe me is great when your over
50. The box and remote keyboard only cost 100 to 150 bucks plus the monthly
ISP charge. Add a color printer to print those pictures of the
grandchildren and they are set. You can get everything you need at WahlMart

Of course they won't be able to do much but they usually don't want to, and
if later they do then you can always move up to a PC. It will have only
cost you/them  a 100 to 150 bucks for a taste of the Web to see if they
like it. Don't be surprised when they start boasting to their friends how
they are online every day.  I bet Web TV will be all the Internet they want.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group

>The fact is that mom is in her late seventies and struggling with new
>technologies, as often I find myself struggling to keep up. I am still
>trying to convince her to use email so it is an ongoing effort. My main
>goals are a rock solid system that gives her (me :-) no trouble.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml