From:
Frederick Navarro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 15:27:54 +0800
I'm about to upgrade my Win Me to Window 2K Profession, but unclear whether
I should install it as NTFS or FAT32. Any advice would greatly appreciate.
Sincerely your,

John Loc.

Ok, here is the comparison of NTFS and FAT32:

      Security:

            When you have a drive formatted as NTFS, you could set security
settings on your drive or to your folder from Read, Write, Execute, or no
Access to the list of users listed in your computer.  FAT32 has I think
only Read Access and Full, if there are some attributes I forgot, then my
apologies..... but the thing is, you could set a user who could write only
a shared folder, but could not view the file or copy in NTFS.  In FAT32,
you could set read or full I think.....

      Bootup:

            Booting your drive using a diskette or a win98 bootdisk under
NTFS will make your drive in accessible.  Which means, no backdoor passage
for altering thru MS-DOS.  However if will reformat that drive still as
NTFS type, and you need to reinstall win2k again, you can't run the setup
program since the installer will try to copy some installation files to the
drive but because it is NTFS (and therefore will not be accessible thru
bootdisk) it cant run.  What I suggest is have 2 partitions, 1 as a system
partition (FAT32) and the second as NTFS for your data files so you could
set permission on it.  So that if ever you need to reinstall, you could
reformat your system drive (FAT32) and run the setup from bootupdisk.
and still have your data files on your NTFS drive.

Hope this works for you pal.  Good luck.

Frederick

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml