From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2007 17:43:17 -0800
At 01:46 PM 1/30/2007 -0600, you wrote:
>It does have Wild Tangent (spyware?) that I haven't yet removed (just
>printed the removal procedures).  Can that be the problem?>>

It's possible. Some spyware will attempt continuously to "phone home" until
it succeeds in transmitting whatever it's designed to transmit from your
computer.

256Mb RAM is a bit small to run XP unless you are very careful. Causes of
slow performance are many and varied.

NAV is a notorious resource hog, also Fast Indexing service if that is
enabled. An overfull HD is another common cause---there should be at least
500 Mb free for XP, 300 for W98. This would be for a barebones system, more
is preferable for most graphics software.

Presumably the system has been regularly defragged.

Compaqs are notorious for loading a lot of unnecessary proprietary stuff at
startup which clogs performance once you start installing other software.

If it's had a lot of junk running for a long time, it will very likely need
a reformat to clear it all away. In the end, this will likely prove faster
and certainly much more reliable than spending days or weeks trying to
track down all the possible causes of bad performance, with maybe only a
50/50 chance of fixing the problem.

Preferably, don't use the maker's "Restore" disk, as this will simply load
all the proprietary junk back on. Much better to reinstall Windows from a
clean disk.

Don Penlington

 From the Beach at Surfers Paradise in sunny Queensland.
Computer tutorials, local scenery,  and other things at my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/deepend/index1.html

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com