From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 2000 12:16:15 -0400
First, Is the sound card cdrom interface ide? if so, you should disable
the soundcard's cdrom interface and move the cdrom to the secondary ide
port on-board.  If it is a proprietary interface, I would disable
secondary ide in cmos if you are not using it to free an IRQ for the
soundcard.  If you have an ISA soundcard you probably have to run the
dos install utility for it to set up the card for plug-n-play.  The few
ISA soundcards i have used could not be configured by the BIOS for plug
and play, but could be by the soundcard's dos install utility. Refer to
the soundcard manual if you have one. Thereafter, the bios would sort of
work around the soundcard during plug and play initializing and
everything would work without conflict.

Second, you may have to include the dos driver in config.sys for this
cdrom.  A properly installed ATAPI cdrom will have its drivers loaded
during windows startup, so pre-loading drivers in config.sys is
unnecessary.  However, if the drive is not being recognized by windows,
manager. I would experiment to see if the rem should be removed from
autoexec.bat for mscdex, keeping in mind that the /D: parameter would
have to be changed to match the /D: parameter used with the device=
command for the soundcard's dos install utility driver in config.sys.
As I said before, this all assumes you are using an ISA  soundcard that
does not plug and play well.

If you have a PCI soundcard, they typically use the Secondary IDE
interface for a cdrom, so you may have a conflict with the ide port
where the new cdrom is installed. Go into cmos settings and disable the
secondary ide channel and see if that doesn't fix it.

Tom Turak