From:
Anthony Power <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 07:26:17 -0500
Last night I put together a new system; Duron 700, Epox 8KTA2 mainboard, 128 M RAM, WD 30 M HD, Panasonic FD, and a Ricoh CD-RW  8x 8x 32x model MP 7083A. Everything went smoothly and I was able to boot from a win98 floppy. I do not have a read only CDROM.

I Fdisked the drive then rebooted and selected a setup (1) where the win98 boot would automatically set up the system for CDROM support so I could load win98. This was unsuccessful, I could not access the CD-RW. The HD is on IDE0 using an 80 conductor ribbon cable and the CD-RW is on IDE1 using a 40 conductor ribbon cable. I did not check the jumper settings for the CD-RW and its possible that I have a bad cable or installed it upside down.

When I get home from work I will check the CD-RW jumper settings, cable installation, use a different cable  etc. What my question is, can this CD-RW be set up to be recognized at the dos prompt and if so where  can I get the drivers for it? Also what would the config.sys, autoexec.bat file entries look like (the drive would be H - C,D,E and F are the HD partitions and G is the RAM drive set up by the win98 boot disk).

Note I also tried to boot from the win98 CD and this was unsuccessful

Regards,

Anthony Power

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com