From:
Ernie Goens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 06:26:02 GMT
On Thu, 16 Apr 1998 16:12:14 -0700, you wrote:

>Help!  I have a 386 which I am setting up as my second system to use
>primarily for e-mail.  I have run McAfee Viruscan on the system and it
>tells me I have traces of MONKEY_B Virus in memory.  It instructs to turn
>off and start with a system-bootable disk.  No problem, I insert a system
>disk (containing IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, and COMMAND.COM) which I have determined
>to be virus free on another machine.  The system will boot to an "a:>"
>prompt but when I either try to switch to "C:" as the active drive or run
>"dir c:", I get an "invalid drive" message.
>
>What have I done wrong?  Do I need additional files on the boot disk?  How
>do I get this "MONKEY" off my back?
>
>TIA for any help coming down the line.

According to the McAfee anti-virus list at:
http://www.nai.com/vinfo/0402.asp

You must run VirusScan from a clean, virus-free environment. Follow
these steps:

Turn off your computer. Do not reset or reboot. Some viruses may
remain intact in the computer's memory.
Ensure your clean start-up diskette is write-protected and insert it
in drive A: For more information on making a clean, write-protected
diskette, refer to Document #0318 "How to Make a Clean Start-up
Diskette for DOS and Windows". For more information about how to
write-protect the diskette, refer to Document #0324 "How to
Write-Protect a Diskette".
Turn on your computer and wait for the system prompt. ( A: )
Remove the clean start-up diskette from drive A:
Insert the original VirusScan diskette into drive A: (If running
VirusScan for Windows, you may need to use diskette #2 of 2 or
depending on your version of VirusScan, you may have a diskette
labeled "Emergency Disk".)
Eliminate the virus(s) on your hard drive(s) by typing the following
command at the A: prompt:
scan c: /clean /all

After the virus has been removed, restart your computer.
If VirusScan was not previously installed, install it now.
If VirusScan still reports a virus in memory, in most cases the boot
diskette was not clean. Please refer to Document #0318 and make sure
to follow all the steps to insure a clean boot diskette.

Hope this helps,
Ernie Goens