From:
"Steven J. Wolfe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 02:54:39 -0600
Unfortunately this is one of the most difficult to diagnose. A power surge
can destroy anything connected to the power supply, including the power
supply. Be aware that *IF* the power supply has been damaged. It can
continue to damage all connected components, including any NEW ones!

Now where to begin???? I would replace the power supply first. Relatively
cheap insurance for less than $20.00... And go from there. I would install
each component one at a time. Start with video, next just floppy to make
sure you have a bootable system. Next install CDROM, or Hard Disk.

BTW the D: drive is a Ram disk created by Win98Se during installation. It is
not a physical drive, but one created in ram. This gives a clue that the ram
may be good.

Good luck,  steve wolfe.........

I have an AMK 233 w/mmx.  The motherboard recently got fried by an
electrical surge.  The system would not boot and the monitor remained
darkened.  The video card and cpu posted on a new motherboard but the HD
would not boot to W98.  It would just hang.  I fdisked and formatted the HD
to install w98.  After formatting, the system would not recognize a
command.com.  I have been unable to get the system to boot from the w98 boot
disk or emergency boot disk.  After many attempts using different boot disk,
the system would start and would load the help/diagnostic tools onto drive
'D'.  The cd rom would be located on drive 'E'.  I don't know where drive
'D' came from since I LBA the entire 3.2GIG Hard drive to drive 'C'.  I have
tried replacing the HD with a new HD but had the same difficult time in
fdisk/format of this new drive.  When I was succussful in formatting, the
system again loaded diagnostics onto drive 'D'(which is nonexistent)and
cdrom as drive 'E'.  I cannot acces drive 'D' or 'E' using either HD.  Is
the CPU or RAM fried also?  What do you guys think about this one.  I am
baffled.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html