From:
Drew Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jun 1998 12:32:53 -0600
OK, Linux fans, this one's got me stumped.

adsl12.bois.uswest.net is a dual Pentium 233MMX machine with 128MB of RAM on
a Tyan Tomcat IV-D motherboard and about 11GB of hard drive space.  It has a
Diamond 3D 2000 video card, a Sound Blaster 16 and a 3COM 3c509 network
card.  It connects to the Internet through an 8 port Linksys hub via
10BaseT.  The ADSL bridge is connected to the hub, which goes out to US
West's network.

Using Red Hat Linux 5.1 with kernel 2.0.34 SMP and dhcpcd .65, the machine
gets its IP address from US West's DHCP server and all is well.

Using Red Hat Linux 5.1 with kernel 2.1.106 and dhcpcd .65 or dhcpcd 1.3.6,
the machine cannot get an IP address.  The kernel configurations are
virtually identical and I've checked and rechecked several times.  dhcpcd
1.3.6 does not support the -c modifier, but it should still reach out and
get the IP address simply by being invoked.  It ain't happening.

I'm about to bring up another P233MMX machine with Linux on the network, but
I'd just as soon get this problem resolved before I embark on another one.

Any ideas?  Anyone?

Thanks,

Drew Dunn
Check out the BurbCam!