From:
"L.P. Adler" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 20:54:27 -0500
I am having a dilly of a time trying to remedy this one: Ever since a 1gb flash drive corrupted on me, I am getting the intermittent message "an unknown USB device has malfunctioned and has exceeded the power limits of its hub port." I get this message even if I have nothing plugged in to a USB port. I no longer use the once-corrupted flash drive with the notebook, even though I have reformatted it and it works fine in my desktop.

This is on an HP Compaq nc6120 notebook with 512mg of RAM and a 1.8 Pentium M processor. I have downloaded everything HP says to, and have uninstalled/reinstalled all USB devices four or five times. I have also tried every driver available. Last night, I reverted to the Standard PCI drivers and thought the problem was solved. After using the laptop for about 5 hours and all apparently OK, up popped the "black pitchfork" error message even though I had nothing plugged in to a USB port. This was after having a flash drive and a USB-powered 10-key plugged in for over an hour. Then, a few minutes later, and having done nothing to reset or cancel the message, the error message disappeared.

I'm not sure if this is harming the computer or not. It seems like my keyboard has been draggy lately -- hesitating would be a better word. I sometimes can type six or eight letters before any letters show up on screen. For now, I have disabled USB error reporting. Any ideas out there?

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml