From:
Thomas Harold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2006 23:15:12 -0400
Ed Moody wrote:

400W should be enough since you're not putting a graphics card in the
system.  Or at least not putting a heavy-duty video card in the system.
  A 450/480W would be a more comfortable margin, so you may need to plan
for a possible upgrade.

> I want to stay under my budget of $1500.00

Should be doable.  The office systems that we're building are dual-core
AMD X2 3800+, 2GB, 80GB, CD/DVD for around $950 (including XP and
Office2003).

> Motherboard = Intel BOXDG965WHMKR Socket T (LGA 775) Intel G965
> Express ATX Intel Motherboard. This board has onboard Graphics and
> audio. Which since I don’t play games should be fine for now and
> there is always the option of disabling these and adding graphics and
> audio cards in the future as budget and desire for upgrades kicks in.

In order to minimize the possibility of conflicts between the
motherboard, the CPU, and the RAM, I'd suggest going someplace that
offers a motherboard bundle (for example, MWave).

The downside of motherboards with integrated graphics is that they are
typically only microATX size.  For example the BOXD946GZISSL is a
microATX with a few less expansion slots then the larger BOXDP965LTCK.
There are inexpensive PCIe video cards in the $40 range (eVGA GeForce
6200LE).

$686.75 Mwave E6600 motherboard bundle: MB-BA22889
- Intel BOXDP965LTCK ATX motherboard (BA22912)
- CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-5400C4 2GB KIT (BA22257)
- Assemble and Test

If you don't go with a motherboard bundle with assembly/testing, make
sure you buy *exactly* the memory part numbers that are listed on the
motherboard's compatibility page.  MWave doesn't seem to be willing to
match up the faster DDR2 667 or DDR2 800 with the boards currently.
Whether that means there are issues with the faster memory, or simply
that MWave doesn't do a bundle with the faster memory is unknown.

Also, memory prices took a 30% jump in the past week or two.

> 2 Hard Drives which will be on Sata Raid 0 = Western Digital Caviar
> SE16 WD3200KS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Are you absolutely positive that you know what you're doing with RAID0?
  Do you have a backup plan?  Do you have a large enough backup drive to
hold an image of the RAID0 for quick restore after one of the 2 drives
fails?  Or at least a plan to place the O/S on a smaller partition and
image it regularly?

As long as you're sure, the 320/400GB drives are the current sweet spot
for price/capacity.

> LCD Monitor =   Hans HW-192DJB Gloss Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD
> Monitor with Height & Pivot Adjustments After much research I think
> (could be wrong) this is a great monitor for the $$
>
> DVD Drives = 2 X NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burners Black IDE/ATAPI Model
> ND-3550A  I like to copy Disk to disk so 2 dbl layer dvd recorders is
> a must
 >
> TV Card =   VisionTek VTK-THMCE550P PCI Interface Video Device TV
> Card (Yes I use my PC to watch TV so this is important)

I've used a dual-tuner Hauppaugue with SageTV.  Mostly you should go
with a card that is compatible with either BeyondTV or SageTV.

> These components total just under $1300.00 which is very cost
> effective (doable) for me right now. Before I make any orders and
> finalize this build I would really like to get a few expert and not
> so expert opinions

Don't forget an OEM copy of WindowsXP and an OEM copy of MS Office if
you need them.  That's going to drive your prices up a bit if you didn't
factor those in.

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com