From:
"Walter R. Worth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 09:22:05 -0800
On Saturday, January 15, 2000 8:00 AM,  "Michelle Thuma" [log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I have a Western Digital 10 Gb hard drive with a problem. The problem is,
> it tells me it has no partitions, but I can't create any partitions
because
> it says there is no space to do so. I have looked at it with fdisk and
> aefdisk, and both tell me the same thing. It is a relatively new drive
that
> was working just fine until I tried to install it into an older Compaq PC.
> That detected it as an 8.5 Gb drive, and did something strange to it,
> leaving me with this problem. Is there some utility out there that I can
use
> to get it to free up the space it seems to be hiding from me? I am no hard
> drive expert, so any advice is appreciated.

My first suggestion would be is to backup your computers system files and
data files.  Go to Western Digital's web site,
http://www.westerndigital.com/service/ and d/l their hard drive utility,
Data LifeGuard.  Follow the instructions to the letter and if your drive "is
not" severely damage, (according to the info contained in your post), you
should be able to repartition it and reinstall your OS and apps.  Note: It
is helpful to all of "us" if you would post if this fixes the problem
because you may not be the only one with this sort of problem.  HTH. :-)

Walter R. Worth

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html