From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 10:06:27 -0500
> I am about to swap my existing motherboard for a new one. Should I delete
> all the system devices in Device Manager before the exchange?

        Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I have had success with switching a
motherboard on Win95 a few times, but other times I haven't. If at all
possible reinstall windows on a clean drive, it is the way win9x prefers it
to be. If you do want to go ahead with it, delete all the devices under the
system head in device manager, it should redetect all the new/different
devices.

> I am running Windows 98. The curent MB is a DFI P2XBL Rev B+. The
> replacement MB will be a DFI PA61.
> Additionally, I will change the existing Celeron 300A CPU with a P-III 500
> MHz, after the MB swap. Is it likely that I could have a problem
> going to a
> 133 MHz bus. The only cards I have installed are (1) SoundBlaster PCI128

     I don't know why you mention the 133MHz bus speed here, AFAIK the PIII
500 is a 100MHz FSB chip, unless you plan to overclock?

> and (2) STB Velocity 128 video (which will be swapped for an ATI
> Express2000 AGP). Do I need to upgrade my existing 64 MB DIMM 100 MHz
> memory?

        No, if you will be running at 100MHz you do not need to upgrade, OTOH if
you will indeed run at an FSB of 133MHz then most likely yes, although I
have seen high quality PC100 SDRAM run at 133 without any problems. TTYL

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html