Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 09:16:10 +0000

> >Marc Axelrod wrote:
>

> >>I temporarily fixed the problem by disabling COM 2 on the motherboard
> >which allowed the modem to assign itself to that port.  This is a temp
> >fix because I need that second port on the MB for my digital camera.
> >
> >Has anyone had this type of problem/conflict?
> >
> >I'm thinking of going into CMOS and reassigning the onboard com2 port to
> >com4.  Does that sound reasonable?
> >
> >Thanks for your assistance.
> >

> Plug and Play modems require that the com port they are assigned to be
> disabled in the bios so that the modem then becomes the port.  If you have
> only one com port in the bios then assign it to com 1 for your other serial
> device.  Com 2 and com 4 share the same irq and com 1 and com 3 share the
> same irq.  Hope this helps.
>
> Mary Wolden

        No, don't do it that way. May be I have done 9^(9^9) times the following:
        -Assign in bios COM1=3F8/IRQ4 and COM2=2F8/IRQ3 absolute. Don't use
Auto: the bios may be frightened by the Plug and Pray modem.
        -Change resources used by your Plug and Pray internal modem to COM3/IRQ5
(or other <>IRQ4/3). COM3=3E8+.

        I have yet to find a situation in which this will not work. After today
I'll have done it 9^(9^9)+1 times.

Javier Vizcaino. Ability Electronics. [log in to unmask]

Starting point:        (-1)^(-1) = -1
Applying logarithms: (-1)*ln(-1) = ln(-1)
Since ln(-1) <> 0, dividing:  -1 = 1
     (ln(-1) is complex, but exists)