From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 15:09:33 -0400
I forget who said what, but I took someone's advice and traded in my Dlink
router for a Linksys.
It, too was giving me DNS errors until I found a forum that said to merely
power down the Cable modem for several minutes so it could "Learn" the new
configuration from the router. Worked like a charm.
It seems odd that this wasn't mentioned in the Linksys manual. I followed
their instructions very carefully-they mostly involved making sure TCP/IP
and DHCP were set for all connections/computers. Seems oddly redundant for a
computer that is already internet connected. The setup disc was worthless as
it's no help until the internet connection is established, at which point it
isn't needed.
I've been using the Hosts file to block sites for quite some time-there are
several available on the 'net, and it's easy to add entries.
Is there a way to increase the network speed? Someone suggested I use IPX
for the network protocol, and I'm willing to try it, but I wonder if anyone
has an opinion.

I recommended that Hugh rename or relocate these files just to be safe.  In
my case, when I had Win 98 First Ed. I started by getting an occasional DNS,
but over a few months I could not have an Internet session that was not 80%
DNS's.  The techie at my ISP, Earthlink, suggested that I rename the Host
files.  Immediately after doing that I was able to eliminate 100% of the
DNS's.  He indicated that I could safely delete them, which I did after
saving copies to a Zip disk.  Worked like a charm.  Never had that problem
again.