From:
Frank Sestir Jr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2010 16:20:05 -0400
  I am looking at doing that myself.  The connection would be esata to
esata.  Only a few drives have been verified to work.  You can read
about it in the Directv forums.  The external drive would be the active
drive and the internal drive would not be used when this drive is
connected.  Disconnect it and you would be back to using your internal
drive.  The DVR would reformat the external to work with saving programs
for later viewing.  I purchased an external esata drive enclosure and
will try a couple of 1GB drives later.

Per Directv:

  Increase Recording Capacity on Your DVR or HD DVR

Want to record even more hours of your favorite shows, movies and
sports? You can increase the recording capacity of your DVR or HD DVR
simply by connecting an external hard drive with greater storage than
the receiver's internal hard drive.

First, make sure you have a compatible receiver. Check the model number
inside the small door located on bottom right corner of the front of the
receiver. The model number should read either R22 (DIRECTV Plus^® DVR)
or HR20 or above (DIRECTV Plus^® HD DVR).

You'll need an external hard drive that uses an eSATA connection. The
following hard drive models are recommended:

    * Western Digital 500GB (model WDG1S5000)
    * Western Digital 1TB (model WDG1S10000)
    * Seagate 1TB (model ST31000SCA109-RK)
    * Seagate 500GB (model ST30500SCA109-RK)

Follow these steps to connect the external hard drive:

    * Turn off your receiver by unplugging the power cord. (Do not rely
      on the power button.)
    * Look for the port on the back of your receiver labeled SATA.
    * Connect the eSATA hard drive with an eSATA cable. Make sure the
      cable is firmly connected on both ends.
    * Turn on the eSATA hard drive and give it several seconds to spin
      up to speed.
    * Plug in the power chord of your receiver.

When your receiver reboots, it will automatically see the
newly-connected hard drive. The hard drive inside your receiver will be
disabled.

You now have expanded recording capacity. With a 1TB hard drive, you can
record up to 200 hours of HD programming.

Because the content on the external drive is paired with the HD DVR
receiver it's connected to, you will have to reformat the external drive
if you want to connect it to a different HD DVR receiver. Reformatting
means you will lose the recordings you made with the original HD DVR
receiver.

/Please note: We offer this tip because we want to help you get the most
out of your DIRECTV experience. It is recommended for advanced users who
are comfortable working with electronic hardware. This modification of
your DIRECTV system is not officially supported by DIRECTV. DIRECTV,
Inc. expressly denies any liability relating to any and all injuries and
damages of any and every kind from the use of above equipment. User is
responsible for the loss of or damage to the above equipment and assumes
the costs and expenses of all necessary servicing and repairs. DIRECTV
expressly denies any guarantee or warranty, either express or implied
regarding the quality and performance of the above equipment. i>/

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Mark Rode<[log in to unmask]>