From:
Tom Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 08:03:50 -0700
The answer to this question is that it depends on the way the devices are to
be used, the communication speed of the devices, and the manner in which the
IDE controller communicates with the devices.

Avoid placing two devices on the same channel that are both heavily used and
likely to compete with each other.

Avoid placing two devices on the same channel that have different
communication speeds unless the IDE controller can operate at different
speeds depending on the device. Newer IDE controllers handle individual
speeds and older IDE controllers default to the slower of the devices.

I have personally found communication with the devices more reliable if the
devices are all set to "cable defined" even if the IDE controller permits
"master" and "slave" settings.

My two computers IDE controllers recognize individual device communication
speeds so I have the "c" drive (most often used) as primary IDE 1 with the
DVD drive, "e", as secondary IDE 1 since it has the least amount of use at
the same time as the "c" drive. I have the second hard drive, "d", as the
primary IDE 2 since it is used as a backup of data and as a "ghost" (non
raid) for the "c" drive and I have the CDRW drive, "f",as secondary IDE 2
since it is often used to load programs/data to and from "c" drive. The
drive designations would differ if I had any multiple partitions on the hard
drives.

If your brother's computer does not recognize individual device
communication speeds, you probably have the best setup. Check the MB manual.
If the 80GB drive is faster than the 40GB, you might consider using the
faster drive as the "c" drive. This involves more than switching primary and
secondary designations and is a separate process of duplicating the existing
programs/data between the two drives. You may or may not want to tackle that
task depending upon your brother's use of the computer. If "the need for
speed" is an issue, go for it.

If you designate the devices through setting them up to be "cable defined",
the communication issues may be corrected.

Sorry this is so long , but your question is not as simple as it might seem
on the surface. Be prepared for other answers as this subject has previously
led to extensive discussions on this forum. I hope this helps you.

Tom Mayer