From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 16:54:18 -0700
On 8 Jun 99, at 14:17, Brad Boutwell wrote:

> > ....  Leaving the top/back off the casing increases airflow and cuts down
> > on heat...great for the longevity of the processor, or if you are an avid
> > overclocker...
>
>   This is rather poor advice.
>
>   Leaving the case off will increase *overall* airflow and lower *air*
> temperature inside the case.
>   But it also tends to decrease the specific airflow over hot components
> such
> as the CPU, and so some of that air temperature reduction may come at a cost
> of increased *component* temperature -- not good for longevity at all.
>
> **********
>
> I'm afraid I don't quite understand your reasoning.  You do understand that
> I am referring to the casing of the processor, not the chassis that the
> motherboard is located in.  How could removing a buffering layer from the
> cpu possibly reduce airflow over the cpu?  This is the entire reason for
> Intel's removal of the case.  All subsequent processors are to have minimal
> housings as well, if I understand correctly.

  I'm sorry -- it sounded like you were recommending running the machine with
the case off.  I see now that you were actually referring to how Intel
packages the CPU.
  In the immortal words of Emily Latella:  Never mind.

David G

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>