From:
Gordon Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 20:27:10 -0700
I've had so many problems installing Linux on my system that I'm
temporarily taking a break from it for a few weeks (months?), so I
thought I'd check in with the list members to see if my plan is
realistic. I've seen enough about Linux on the list to know there are
some experienced users out there.

My system is PII-300, Intel 440LX mb, 9 Gb SCSI hd, 128 Mb RAM. I dual
boot Win95 & WinNT 4.0 WS; all works well, thanks to help from some of
you earlier in Jan 98.

I want to install RedHat Linux 5.0 on my last partition, sda11. I
currently have 7 x 1023 Mb partitions, & #8 & last is 894 Mb, just
before the 1024 cylinder limit (I have 1106 cylinders on the one
drive). My C: partition is primary, the other partitions are logical
on the one extended partition. All is FAT16.

I tried setting up a swap file past the 1024 cylinder limit, but other
utility programs, like PartitionMagic, would not work properly when
that DOS limit was crossed. And System Commander can't be used on
drives >8 Gb. Will there be any access to that freespace past 1024?

I hope to repartition that last 894 Mb partition into 2, having about
600 Mb for files & 294 Mb for the swapfile. Is it realistic to have
Linux as just another logical partition? Will I be able to triple
boot? Is anyone out there triple booting with these OS without
problems? Or am I setting up my system for some inevitable crashes?

I'd hoped to install Linux so that I could learn it, but I may not
have the fundamental computing knowledge yet. I'd appreciate any

Gordon Tyler___________________________Department of Psychiatry
out-pt group psychotherapy_______University of Alberta Hospital
[log in to unmask], Alberta, Canada