From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 16:20:23 -0700
At 06:51 AM 12/06/1999 , Peter Ramins wrote:
>Ok... I have a Pentium 200 mmx, 96 megs of ram, Maxtor 20 gig drive, E-tech
>non win 56k modem (isa), SoundBlaster Live! soundcard (pci), and STB
>Velocity 4400 with 16 megs, Riva TnT chipset (pci).
>
>When i removed my old motorola hst / win modem and replaced it with the new
>isa modem, the sound card stopped working. However, the sound card works in
>other systems. Before anyone suggests irq conflict, here is what I have
>done:
>
>1. Obviously, removed modem to see if that was the culprit, since the
>soundcard worked right before i installed it.
>
>2. toggled the bios setting 'pnp aware os' to on / off with no effect. (I
>had to do this when i initially installed the SB, it didn't auto detect at
>first, way back in the day)
>
>3. Via bios, disabled all com ports, since I'm using internal modem and ps/2
>mouse. disabled printer port as well.
>
>4. Tried soundcard in different machine to verify that it still works, it
>does, it autodetected and worked just fine.
>
>5. Reinstalled windows.
>
>I don't think it's a config problem with windows since I don't even see it
>detected in POST, like all the other cards, and the dos drivers won't work
>when windows isn't loaded.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm at my wit's end here, no idea what to
>do short of getting a new motherboard and processor, (and case) which i'm
>not ready to do.

Try putting the modem in a different ISA slot.  Sometimes one slot on a board
can be touchy and not work up to speed, especially for detecting existing cards.

Also, enter the CMOS settings in your BIOS and in the screen where you have
enabled Plug-N-Play, set IRQ3 and IRQ4 to ISA instead of the default PCI.
In this mode, Windows will not assign those IRQs randomly and reserve them
for ISA slot devices.

     Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                     visit our download web page at: