From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 17:12:33 -0500
David,

I have an HP 500 series on my daughter's PC.  It makes the
same noise and gear grinding on every other power on. Also,
when it grinds, the status lights start flashing in syncopation
on the panel.  We have to shut the printer off for a second
and then turn it back on.  After that, it runs just fine....
It has been doing this for almost 3 years.

Other than the horrible sound, the printer runs perfectly.

As you said, the repair cost far exceeds the value of the
printer.  I would ignore the noise and get as much use
as you can from the printer. When (or if) it finally fails,
get a new one.

Jim Meagher