From:
"Paul A. Shippert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 16:03:38 -0500
Greetings Jerry and list--
----- Original Message -----
From: "JERRY NICKERSON" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>

>I am attempting to locate an ASUS bios upgrade utility that will flash my motherboard
> bios.

> Here are the details:
> Home built system
> ASUS P2B motherboard
> Award ASUS P2B ACPI BIOS REV. 1006  (original bios with label saying "built
> 10/09/98")

> I downloaded the AFLASH.EXE program from the ASUS web site and saved the old > bios.
> The screen listed my bios as "Unknown" Flash Memory.  Per the instructions, I backed > out of
the utility without flashing the bios.

I did a search of the asus site and located the following link for the
P2B model.  The page prior to this one listed several variations of
the P2B, but this is the one you need if it is a "plain vanilla" P2B.

http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P2B

You were correct to back out of the flash procedure.  The AFLASH utility
is just the tool you need to 'put the BIOS update in place'.  You need a
second file--usually one with a .bin extension--to instruct the flash utility
to use to update your bios.

If you go to the page who's link I've provided, I would recommend downloading
aflash.exe (if it is a more recent version than the one you have), Bx2i1012.zip, and
the User manual, unless you already have a current one.  The Bx2i1012.zip appears
to be the most recent revision of the P2B BIOS.  You will need Winzip, PKUnzip,
or some similar archive utility to unzip the file, then copy it to a known virus-free
blank floppy.  Take careful note of the file name, because you will need to type it
in correctly during the beginning of the flash procedure.  Follow all instructions
carefully.  This is very important.  Flashing your BIOS is normally a fairly straightforward
procedure, but, if done incorrectly, can turn a perfectly good computer into a rather
cumbersome paperweight.

Good luck and HTH.

Paul A. Shippert

---