From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 03:46:54 -0500
At 23:35 11/13/98 -0500, S. Shea wrote:
>>I have an old SCSI drive (Fujitsu M2622S-512) that I am trying
>>to install for a third operating system. Unfortunately I am able
>>to install the drive and Windows98 sees it but I cannot access it.
>
>further to the responses I have received...
>I have tried to use EZ drive to set up the drive as well as the
>Adaptec SCSI software but I am unable to see the drive (including
>trying FDISK). The drive does show up in Device Manager with no
>conflicts but I am able to do nothing with it. It has been formatted
>for UNIX. Does anyone have any other ideas on how to access it?

Hi Shawn

Could you let us know what Adaptec SCSI controller you are using?

Someone already mentioned this, but a low level format of the drive
done from the SCSI controller's BIOS would fix your problems.
I've been in the position where I could not get rid of non-DOS
partitions and the SCSI low level format did the trick. By the
way, a low level SCSI can take a long time (up to an hour or
two) during which you may not see any sign that your computer
is doing anything. Don't interrupt it.

There is also a DEBUG routine (not the one used for low level
formatting MFM drives) that will fix the problem. I posted it
some time ago. It has been used by many people and none have
reported problems. It's good for removing partitions from drives.
The debug routine (below) will completely overwrite track zero.

Start of excerpt from older message:

You will need a bootable DOS diskette with debug.exe on it.

Be sure to mind your spaces and capital letters:

debug<Enter>
-F 200 L200 0<Enter>
-a 100<Enter>
-mov ax,301<Enter>
-mov bx,200<Enter>
-mov cx,1<Enter>
-mov dx,0080<Enter> (change last 0 to 1 for drive D:, 2 for drive E:)
-int 13<Enter>
-int 3<Enter>
-<Enter>
-G=100<Enter>

** Notes:
1)  The letters in the first and last lines **must** be capitalized
letters, the rest should **not** be.
2)  In the line with the number 0080, change the last 0 to a 1 for
drive D:, as in 0081, and to a 2 for drive E:, etc.
3)  After the first couple of lines are typed and entered, you will
see numbers and memory addresses on the screen, don't worry, they are
supposed to show up.  The <Enter> on the line by itself after the
"int 3" line clears them (everything) back to the dash prompt so you
can type the last "go" command. (G=100)
4)  Do not run from a DOS Window out of Win95.
5)  Type debug at the DOS prompt when you are booted in DOS.
6)  The - at the start of each line is the Debug prompt. You
don't have to type it.

Regards,
Bill

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]