From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 11:19:51 -0700
On 3 Jun 99, at 0:36, Jose E. Dominguez wrote:

> I have a client that needs a box for graphics design. The programs that
> will be run on it are Adobe Illustrator, PageMaker, Photoshop,
> Streamline, perhaps others of that kind, maybe even Auto CAD.
>
> What would be the best video card to use on a project like this? What
> OS, NT or 98?

  I would recommend 98 IF there was funky (legacy and/or cutting-edge)
hardware that needed support, but you don't mention any.  So I'd go with NT
for its stability, system resources (98 is constrained by the requirement to
support 16-bit applications simply), and good use of lots of RAM -- these are
all things that will pay off for these applications.

  My current favourite video card is the Matrox G200 Millenium AGP; I think
there's a PCI version as well, although if you're building a new machine then
AGP is the way to go.  Their G100 Productiva might actually do as well on
this application mix for less money, but (a) needs tend to "evolve" over
time, and (b) I know the G200 has provision for memory expansion, and I don't
think the G100 does.  [Note that the G200 *Mystique* trades away some
performance for features that you haven't indicated any use for; there's also
a G200 *Marvel* with video capture facilities for more bucks....]

David G