Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 2015 09:36:10 -0700
  I have a main desktop machine at home, which originally came with Win
7 Ultimate.  I partitioned the main hard drive and installed Ubuntu, and
that's where I read my email.  The machine is about  years old now, and
thanks to software updates it is now running Windows 10 and Ubuntu
14.04.

  Rather than string long Ethernet cables all around my apartment, I use
a USB wifi adapter to connect to the wifi provided by my DSL router in
another room.
  Ubuntu seems to drop and reestablish the connection randomly.  At
least, it usually reestablishes it eventually.
  I don't think I've seen Windows drop he connection, ever.  And in
fact, any time that Ubuntu seems to have trouble reconnecting, all I
have to do is boot into Windows to get a good connection, which persists
when I boot back into Ubuntu.
  My guess is that the Windows driver for the adapter is smarter than
whatever driver Ubuntu is using; perhaps (a) lying to me about
intermittent drops? and/or (b) resetting the adapter on boot in ways
that Ubuntu doesn't.
  Can anyone suggest ways to improve the reliability of my connection
while Ubuntu is running?

David Gillett
CISSP CCNP

                          PCSOFT's List Owners: