From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 13:25:19 -0700
On 2 Jun 99, at 10:29, Twin*.*Star wrote:

> ----------
> From:   Harvey Rose[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
>
> I'm building a 450Mhz Pentium III with Abit's BX6 Rev. 2 board. I was
> wondering if I could run 2 CD-ROMs. One is an Afreey 45x and the other is a
> NEC Multispin 4x4. Would it be better to run them on separate IDE cables or
> run the faster as a master and the other as a slave or would slow down the
> faster one? Also the harddrive is IDE.

  I have one machine with a NEC 4x4, and another with a 4x8.  The one with
the 4x4 has an IDE internal Zip drive with it on the secondary EIDE channel;
the one with the 4x8 has a 24x CD-ROM drive with it on the secondary EIDE
channel.  Both machines have dual hard drives on the primary EIDE/UDMA
channel; both these configurations work fine.
  Modern CD-ROM drives don't tend to slow down hard drives on the same
channel the way older drives could.  I'm not sure which category the NEC
MultiSpins fall into, though.  I *have* had difficulty getting them to work
with bus-mastering EIDE drivers; I haven't revisited this issue lately.

  SOME of the games I have that look for their CD to be in the drive stop
looking at the first CD-ROM drive letter, but most are smarter (or dumber)
than that, and are happy as long as it's somewhere in the MultiSpin.

David G

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html