From:
Carl Houseman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Sep 2004 22:39:04 -0400
You can set your automatic updates to "download only" and the update won't
be installed until you permit it (you will be reminded regularly that the
update is ready to install).

I would take the fear you have of SP2 and channel it into learning how to
backup your system.  Then, if SP2 does anything unrecoverable, you'll have
your backup and can restore the computer without losing important
information.

Carl