From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 14:51:24 -0600
At 11:15 AM 10/20/2002, Freeman Mendell wrote:
>I have a AMD K6/233 motherboard in a machine I have inherited. It will boot
>fine from a floppy and set up an operating system fine. Once I try to boot
>from a hard drive it reboots as soon as it the boot sequence starts. I have
>tired two different hard dirves. I have taken everything out of the system
>except the video card. There is no change. It beeps many fast beeps as it
>it recognizing the IDE controllers when it is initially loading the bios. I
>have reset the bios to defaults and setup defaults. I have the drives as
>auto in the bios for each drive.

I would remove the partition on a hard drive, replace it fresh and set it active.
Then format the drive and add just the system files to the hard drive from your
boot floppy disk, (using the sys c: command).  Then, with this most basic of
operating structures on your hard drive, see if it will boot from the hard drive.
Also, be sure you have the hard drive configured as the Master drive on the
primary IDE controller...  (you probably know this, but if I did not mention it,
someone would write in to add it).  Also, you should try a different IDE ribbon
cable...  they do go bad from time to time.

If you have tried all this, then...  you have a failed hard drive controller on
your motherboard or a bad Bios.  Either way, time for a new motherboard.

    Bob Wright
  Team NoSpin
The NoSpin Group, Inc
http://freepctech.com