From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2010 14:45:22 -0500
I believe, but am not sure, that this is a place to connect an external
drive to the dvr to effectively increase the amount of storage space on
your dvr for programs.  For example, I bought my Directv from Weaknees
with a larger hard drive than is normal, so that I could record more
than the standard drive permits.  I don't think that my dvr came with a
usb interface on the front.  On my TIVO, there is a place to connect a
WD hard drive that also effectively expands the recording space.  On the
TIVO once the hard drive has been attached, it is sort of re-formatted
and you can no longer take it off, I think.  It must remain attached to
the TIVO.

You should go to the Directv web site to read more about your particular
dvr model.  (Unfortunately their web site is very slow and short on
details!)  You should also check out weaknees at
http://www.weaknees.com/ to see what they have to say and offer.  They
can give you a definitive answer to this question.

As far as backing up this material, I don't know if you can or not.
Your computer would have to be able to "see" the drives, and I am not
certain if  the directv software will allow that.  Furthermore, whether
you want to back it up or not is sort of up to you.  I have a season of
"True Blood" on my hard drive, and I don't want to lose it, but, after I
view it I will delete it.  If I lost it, I would have to wait until it
came out on DVD or until re-runs started.  So, to me, backing up that
stuff is not particularly important.  Others may feel differently about
their tv programs...

HTH

Dean Kukral

On 10/19/2010 11:46 AM, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> I read with interest the discussion regarding using external hard drives
> for backup purposes.  I'm not really sure if this is the correct forum for
> my question.  I have a DirecTV dvr with a USB port on the front.  I'm  told
> it is to allow an external hard drive for recording programs.  Having  this
> in mind, would software for backup purposes be redundant or even  needed?
> I've seen the WD My book 2TB external hard drive on sale for less  than $150
> and was considering getting one and plugging it into my dvr.  Has  anyone had
> any experience with this?  I already use carbonite to backup my  pc.
>
> TIA,
> Kevin Nowicki
>
>                           PCBUILD's List Owners:
>                        Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>