From:
Brad Boutwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 13:34:21 -0500
I must beg to differ. Drives of the new Ultra2 SCSI type are capable of 80
MB/sec. speed, which is considerably faster than the (I believe) maximum
UltraDMA 37 MB/sec.

---------------

I was speaking from the viewpoint of a cost-conscience designer, which the
poster said was his primary concern.  To even further the SCSI bandwagon,
you can now get up to 160 MB/sec, but that type of bandwidth is not crucial
to a typical designer using PhotoShop and CorelDraw.  Don't get me wrong, I
am not downing SCSI drives (I own 4), but they are not economical for
end-users by any means.

When the next round of motherboards are released, ATA-66 will be mainstream
and will bring higher-bandwidth drives even closer to end-users because this
technology has only a nominal increase in cost.  They are available now, but
require the purchase of a controller card, so that point is mute also.

Brad

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html