From:
Dick Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 08:54:12 -0500
 I believe you may have a defective ground within the AC power wiring in
the building, at least to the power outlet you use for your computer.
The static electricity you pick up when walking back to your computer
should transfer to the grounded computer case and internal frame by way
of the housewiring ground, the round pin on the end of the cord which
plugs into the power outlet in the wall, instead of causing your
computer to reboot. Small inexpensive plug-in test units which will
display wiring errors in the house AC lines are widely available. They
indicate with small lights on the unit when the wiring is correct or
needs to be changed.
 I have never seen a system that could be caused to reboot because of
static electricity, and such an extreme case leads me to believe that
you do not have a proper AC power ground, so instead of going into the
AC ground, the static is going into the computer circuitry. Housewiring
errors are fairly common, and can cause hazards to people as well as
equipment.

Dick Carroll

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>