From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 10:50:37 -0800
On  2 Nov 98 at 8:12, Randy Ryan wrote:

> My Presario 4150 has died.  Naturally 2 months after the warranty.  The
> computer seems to be in the eternal sleep mode.  Nothing I can do will wake
> it.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?  I took the hard disk out and put it in another
> machine and it works fine, it's just that the computer won't wake up.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.

  The "obvious" first thing to check is power.  Does the power-supply
fan come on?  The case fan, if any?  The CPU fan?  Any of the drives?
LEDs on the motherboard (some have them, some don't) or peripherals
(most network cards have them)?

  If this machine has an MMX CPU, it almost certainly has an on-board
regulator.  If this is a "linear" (cheap) type, rather than a
"switching" type, it may have died.  [I had one do that.  Look for
components near the CPU that have their own heatsinks....]

  If there's a jumper to short to reset the CMOS, I'd try that too.

David G

                                  -----