From:
Donald Rex Gaither <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:45:06 -0500
>>In the early days of personal computers, the BASIC Operating
System (OS)
>was
>>supplied as the default OS in Read Only Memory (ROM) in chips
on the
>>motherboard.  When everybody started using DOS (Disk Operating
System),
>>hardly anybody used BASIC, and those who wanted to could use
newer,
>>improved versions, such as BASICA, GW-BASIC, QBASIC from
>
>My understanding is that BASIC,BASICA etc. are languages and
NOT OSes. Am I
>right or wrong?
>
>(Dr. Ashok Bhiman)
>              M.D.

Yes, you are right.  What they are talking about is that some
older computers had a ROM chip that would boot an OS up and
start a Basic editor.  A more modern example would be booting to
a floppy that had GWBASIC load automaticlly at startup (in the
Autoexec.bat for example).

HTH,
Donald Gaither

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: