From:
Tom Waddell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 2009 21:50:51 -0400
Trying to install a HD into a computer I got at the transfer station. It works but the OS, WinXP, is password protected. Figured all I had to do was install a working HD with WinXP but it didn't work. Computer cycles through start-up. Can get to BIOS to change supervisor and user passwords but that did not affect logging onto WinXP. HD is set to master and connedted to the last connector on the IDE ribbon. Have not tried the CS setting. Is there some BIOS setting I am missing. Plug and Play is on. Boot sequence set to floppy, HD, CD and other boot devices. What I hope to do is boot from the HD I just installed, add the password protected HD as a second HD and re-format it. Can I flash the BIOS without starting the OS? If I flash the BIOS will the password go away?

This computer is basically a CD player for my workshop. The "NEW" one has a P4-2GHz CPU. The "OLD" one has a 450 MHz CPU.

Thanks,

Tom