From:
Fred Nielson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 13:08:21 -0500
Mary,

If your speakers are a standard analog set with a standard mini stereo plug,
try plugging them into a portable radio or CD player that has the same size
plug.

Most people don't have a spare set of speakers laying around, but if you do,
try them in the sound card.  If not, a cheap set of speakers can be bought
at most places for testing the sound out port on your sound card.  In most
cases, analog PC speakers and sound cards use the mini stereo plug (as
opposed to the micro).

If your sound system is digital, testing is much more complicated and best
performed by a knowledgeable technician to avoid damage to the sound card or
speaker system.

If you are unsure what you have, digital systems generally use round cables
and plugs that have many pins, analog generally use a flat cable that has
two wires and a single pin plug.

Fred Nielson