From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 12:26:51 -0800
I and others have had this problem with the ABIT BX6. I believe it is a
BIOS issue. When I first got my ABIT BX 6 last spring I experienced this
and neither I nor the vendor could resolve it so the vendor gave me a RMA.
On the ABIT news group I found other people with the identical problem and
you might want to check there  alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit.

Before I sent the board in I decided to try clearing the BIOS ...you can
try this first with the jumper and then by removing the battery and
touching the two posts together. This worked for me ....the BIOS cleared
and went to defaults and the problem disappeared.

BUT eight months later...last week.....I put a new hard drive in and the
BIOS choked. No post , no video, no beeps ..nada. I was able to get it
going again using the same method but before I tried the new drive again I
wanted to update to the latest version of the BIOS. I successfully
performed the flash and booted three times. Then I went into the BIOS and
started to make changes from default settings and it started to hang up
which resulted in me powering off. I have not been able to post again and
will be sending it back to ABIT under warranty.

My conclusions are that I should of replaced the board at the beginning.
Something is probably wrong with the BIOS chip or the floppy controller and
although I got things cleared up and running it was still fundamentally
flawed and died when put under the stress of configuring a new hard drive.

At least this is my best guess.

At 02:35 PM 12/4/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I am having the following problem with my system.  When I try to access my A
>Drive my system locks up.  My motherboard is an ABIT BX6
>revision 2, Intel 440BX chipset, 82443BX - 82371FB PCI Bus Master IDE
>   If I boot up in DOS or boot using a bootable disk my A drive
>works every time.  When I was using Windows 95, I did not have any problems
>with my A Drive.  I have tried two other disk drives that work in other
>computers, but will not work in this computer running Windows 98.
>Thank you for you assistance in advance, William E. Hanson

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html