From:
Dean Kiley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Apr 2011 08:37:02 -0500
If the eMachine had the HP 090 CL MoBo and you do a non-destruct reinstall
of WXP, you just returning XP to its original, non-updated state... before
any updates. If you reformat the hard drive, and the board has been replaced
with something other than the exact, original main board, you will no doubt
experience Windows licensing issues. There are a lot of opinions on this
issue, as well as headaches.
At this point, building a new machine would be very much advantageous. A bit
of research with respect to what you use your machine for will yield MANY
inexpensive parts, or even "bare bones" kits that will fit your needs. Then,
an OEM copy of Win 7 Pro runs about $140. I guess after reading your post,
it all depends on how much time you would care to spend on a machine and OS
that eventually M$ will be discontinuing support (updates) for. If you have
not yet tinkered with W7, it takes a little getting used to, but you will
like it better than XP. If you have never built a machine from the bottom
up, well, it's rather rewarding when you do, and end up with a screaming
machine at the end of the day.
Just my thoughts... good luck whatever your decision is!
Dean Kiley