From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 12:15:55 -0700
XP loves power and hardware. I wouldn't run it without 256 megs of RAM. You
will notice a difference by adding additional RAM. Look also at the speed
of your hard drive. A fast hard drive, 7200 RPM with good platter density,
can make a huge difference in performance when running Windows 2K and / or XP.

But then, you point out, that you have experience running XP on less
hardware, with better results. I have found that for some reason, which I
do not understand,  XP, and on very rare occasions 2K, will run slow on
particular systems. I have a couple of systems myself that I can't figure
out why XP or 2K is running so slow, when on other comparable systems it is
running briskly.

I have decided that it is something about the hardware that Windows doesn't
like, or maybe a driver issue. My only hope is that one day Microsoft will
post the right patch, or a new driver will become available that will
increase performance.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group
http://freepctech.com

>We recently bought a pentium 4, 1.6 GHz, 128 MB RAM, 400 MHz bus speed, 40
>GB hard disk and running on windows XP. The disk is partitioned with NTFS.
>Suprisingly the machine is slow as compared to ones with lesser RAM, bus
>speed and processor speed. Even printing from a network printer is very
>slow. Any comment?
>  Chilangisha Changwe

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml